Art within the creative disciplines is essential in life. Art can shape and define who we are and how we understand ourselves and others. It provides opportunities for perspective, expression and individuality. For Hovingham, building tolerance, appreciation and celebration of our community as a whole can be channelled through the artistic beauty with all the different cultures we serve. We believe that artistic experience fuels imagination and in turn imagination fuels creativity.
At Hovingham Primary our art curriculum will enable pupils to:
• Acquire, retain and retrieve key scientific knowledge and skills through specific disciplines for defined purposes.
• Develop self expression, exploration and interpretation. Think and act like an artist.
• Be curious and fascinated about natural and man-made artwork and design
• Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
• Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
• Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
• Know about great artists, craft makers and designers
• Understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms
The National Curriculum provides the knowledge and skill development for the art curriculum being taught throughout the school, which is now linked, where possible to the theme topics to provide a creative scheme of work, which reflects a balanced programme of study.
The art content, for every year group, from Nursery to Year 6, is carefully mapped out so that teachers know and understand what to teach and when to teach it. All sequences of learning are planned so that there is cohesion and key knowledge and skills are protected. Art is taught within planned blocks for continuity and depth.