Design and technology is fundamental to how we live. As technology develops, life opportunities are expanded and can be used effectively to improve lives. Design, structures, mechanisms, electric control and food are intrinsic to the way we live, our health and the choices we make. Our curriculum makes explicit links to other disciplines, in science and maths but also exposes pupils to the important role of innovators, engineers, inventors and designers in shaping our futures.
At Hovingham Primary our music curriculum will enable pupils to:
• Develop skills and precision to design, making and evaluate.
• Acquire, retain and retrieve key knowledge and skills linked to design, mechanisms, electric control and food.
• Think critically, identifying the features, problems and solutions in products.
• Progressively master the use and application of a range of tools and equipment. This will develop from EYFS to Year 6.
• Understand the significance of developments in design and technology over time.
• Understand the impact technological advances have had on living, non-living things and our environment.
The National Curriculum provides the knowledge and skill development for the design and technology curriculum being taught throughout the school.
The design and technology content, for every year group, from Nursery to Year 6, is carefully mapped out so that teachers know and understand what to teach and when to teach it. All sequences of learning are planned so that there is cohesion and key knowledge and skills are protected.