The maths team will …
- Lead and influence the school staff to develop a clear overarching curriculum intent which drives the ongoing development and improvement of Maths from Nursery – Year 6.
- Ensure that the Maths curriculum intent is driven by what we know our children need to be successful.
- Ensure there are appropriate resources and staff development to support the Maths Curriculum intent
- Understand and articulate the expectations of the Maths curriculum to support teaching and support staff in their short term planning and effective lesson delivery.
- Ensure an appropriate progression of knowledge is in place which supports pupils in knowing more and remembering more as mathematicians.
- Ensure there is appropriate planning guidance and support so that children cam make rapid progress from their starting points.
- Ensure an appropriate progression of mathematics skills and knowledge is in place over time so that pupils are supported to be the best mathematicians they can be, and challenge teachers to support struggling mathematicians and extend more competent ones.
- Ensure an appropriate progression for vocabulary is in place for each phase of learning, which builds on prior learning.
- Identify mathematicians who need further support in specific areas of the Maths curriculum and track and monitor catch up.
- Keep up to date with current mathematics research and subject development through an appropriate subject body or professional group such as Maths Hubs.
The class teachers will, with support from the Maths team:
- Follow the Hovingham Maths long term plan and produce short term/ maths unit planning.
- Personally, pursue support for any particular subject knowledge and skills or gaps prior to teaching.
- Equip classrooms with appropriate resources for children to access freely.
- Plan and deliver Maths sessions that follow the agreed expectations as outlined in the Teaching and Learning Policy.
- Explore small steps and effectively deconstruct the learning within sessions and evidence this on classroom working walls.
- Ensure concrete, pictorial and abstract representations are used in every lesson.
- Analyse formative and summative assessment to inform the following week’s teaching, as outlined in the Assessment and Feedback Policy.