The awe, wonder and importance of science can not be underestimated in how we understand, assess and evaluate the importance of this subject. Not only does biology, chemistry and physics influence everything around us it also impacts at every point of our daily lives and the choices we make. Science truly is phenomenal. This area of learning is concerned with increasing pupils’ knowledge and understanding of our world, and with developing skills associated with Science as a process of enquiry. It will develop the natural curiosity of the child, encourage respect for living organisms, and the physical environment and provide opportunities for critical evaluation of evidence.
At Hovingham Primary our science curriculum will enable pupils to:
- acquire, retain and retrieve key scientific knowledge and skills through specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
- work scientifically
- be curious and fascinated about natural phenomena
- understand the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science
- recognise how science has changed our lives and is vital to the world’s future prosperity
- develop an understanding of how science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave and analyse causes
- recognise the influence of technological and medical advances have impacted on their lives and those of others
- recognise the significance of technological and engineering advances on settlement, entertainment and mobility.
- acknowledge the choices advances in science provide to us to maintain our own health, wellbeing and life chances and opportunities.
- celebrate significant scientists now and in history.
- think and act as a scientist. This requires immersion in a line of enquiry, use of quality resources including texts
The National Curriculum provides the knowledge and skill development for the science curriculum being taught throughout the school, which is now linked, where possible to the theme topics to provide a creative scheme of work, which reflects a balanced programme of study.
The science content, for every year group, from Nursery to Year 6, is carefully mapped out so that teachers know and understand what to teach and when to teach it. All sequences of learning are planned so that there is cohesion and key knowledge, and skills are protected. Science is taught within planned blocks for continuity and depth. We use snap science.