At Hovingham we are motivated by our purpose to provide our children with the best possible experiences we can, it is this motivation that driven our curriculum intent and design. We have considered coherent and structured content, relevant connected curriculum experiences and how our curriculum can be effectively implemented and realized in every classroom.
Hovingham’s Curriculum Implementation
Informed by our deep understanding of our pupils and rooted in first-hand experience, rigorous self-evaluation, and research evidence, we have identified what our children need to be successful. We have created a curriculum implementation model which provides the vehicle for the curriculum content to sit within and we measure the impact through a well thought through systematic approach to visible feedback and summative checking whether our children know more and have remembered more.
Our curriculum content sits on a sea of talk, oracy is the vehicle in which teachers frame everything around.
Sequences of learning are built around 5 Key elements. Hovingham’s 5As ensure that the elements of teaching and learning that we know are essential to great outcomes are part of our lesson design:
Hovingham’s Curriculum Accountability Structure
The Principal will:
- Ensure the strategic direction for Hovingham is aligned to with the whole school vision, values and core purpose
- Identify priorities through self assessment to form the school development plan
- Lead the team to ensure the school development plan is translated into robust actions which can be monitored and evaluated to ensure continued school improvement
- Curriculum planning is appropriately sequenced and cohesive and aligned to the NC expectations and the Hovingham curriculum intentions
- Ensure teachers development and strengths are quickly identified so that professional development is targeted appropriately
- Develop a team of specialists
- Hold teachers to account so that they meet professional standards and deliver the intended curriculum.
The leadership team will:
- Ensure curriculum planning is appropriately sequenced and cohesive
- Be specialists in the primary curriculum
- Monitor the effectiveness of curriculum delivery and impact
- Evaluate resources and approaches so that they are aligned with Hovingham’s over-arching aims and implementation model
- Track the progress of all pupil groups and respond if intervention is needed
- Work alongside teachers and support staff to ensure the quality of education is not compromised
- Support and champion subject leaders and demonstrate best practice
- Subject leaders will be knowledgeable, a champion for the discipline and a motivating influence on others
- Assess and report impact as part of an ongoing self assessment.
Class teachers will:
- Plan a sequence of learning which enables all pupils to gain the intended knowledge and skills
- Support and scaffold pupils according to need
- Provide memorable and meaningful lessons which promote a love for learning
- Ensure resources are used effectively and purposefully to fulfil the aims of the sequence of learning
- Use Hovingham’s implementation model effectively
- Integrate quality texts and quality oracy opportunities so that all pupils can read and talk to learn
- Capture learning creatively
- Assess progress and ensure end points are met
- Provide a learning environment which is aligned to Hovingham’s values.
Support staff will:
- Know and understand the sequence of learning
- Know and understand the key knowledge, skills and vocabulary
- Provide quality interactions with pupils to support the learners and deep their understanding
- Use the oracy tools effectively within lessons
- Support the maintenance of a ready, respectful and safe classroom environment.